Monday 12 September 2016

Leeds Zine Fair

At the weekend myself and my sisters had a table at the Leeds Zine Fair as our Big Brown Eyes Collective!

With us not being able to go to the Bristol Comic and Zine Fair this year, we decided to try and fit in another fair before Thought Bubble in November (also in Leeds). The venue in the unused church at Left Bank was amazing, by far the prettiest venue we've had a stall at so far. We'll definitely be going again if there's the opportunity!


The Big Brown Eyes Collective!
From left: me, Freya and Karis




We took our usual comics and zines, as well as some freshly printed minis and hand illustrated jewellery. This time we also had prints of our illustrations which went down well, so we'll be adding to our print batch at future fairs with some new designs.


Me at our table :) 
Some of Karis's A3 prints
We were invited to contribute the Leeds fair zine-in-a-day which was printed on a risograph printer during the day. We had to get our entries in quick so they could start running off copies, so we rather manically began sketching away behind our stall. 
I made it a bit complicated for myself by drawing a 2 colour pattern of cacti and foliage which I couldn't align properly with the thick paper I drew the layers on, but I loved the outcome of my page despite the dodgy alignment. 

I've always wanted to try risoprint so seeing my work printed in that way for the first time was pretty cool! Definitely a process to consider for future work as opposed to digital printing.


My page in the zine!

Hopefully we'll start tabling at more fairs in the future and become a bit more regular on the scene, as all of us are really enjoying it. The general vibe and atmosphere at fairs is something I love -
people are always so lovely and you always leave feeling elated and like you've made a few friends along the way :)

I bought these lovely riso prints from our next door tabler Dimitri Pieri.
I've been on the look out for some artwork to decorate my studio walls (now I have one!) and I just thought these were so unusual and I loved the little 4 eyed beings featured in each of his prints.




Thanks to everyone who stopped by our stall at the weekend! Our next event will be the Thought Bubble Comic Art Festival 5th-6th November 2016 where we have a half table in the Royal Armouries Hall.



No comments:

Post a Comment